Pulled Pork Sliders
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 30 mins
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp mustard powder
1 tbs brown sugar
1kg boneless pork belly, rind scored
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 litre chicken stock
12 Brumby’s Round Rolls
½ cup whole egg mayo
2 tbs apple cider vinegar (for coleslaw)
300g bag prepacked coleslaw (for coleslaw)
½ cup finely shopped continental parsley (for coleslaw)
1 royal gala apple, unpeeled, cut into long matchsticks (for coleslaw)
1. Preheat oven to 220°c fan-forced. Line a roasting pan with a large sheet of baking paper.
2. Combine paprika, mustard powder and sugar in a small bowl. Rub mixture over meat of the pork, not rind. Place meat-side down into roasting pan. Rub oil into rind then sprinkle over table salt. Pour in enough of the stock so that it comes halfway up the side of the meat, topping up with water if necessary. Roast for 35-45 minutes or until rind has crackled.
3. Turn oven down to 160°c fan-forced and add more water if necessary, then roast for a further 1½-2 hours or until meat begins to fall apart. Cool pork in pan with juices for 20 minutes, and then transfer to a chopping board. Tip off as much fat as possible from pan juices. Reserve 100ml of the pan juices.
4. Remove the crackling from top of pork and cut into pieces. Using two forks pull pork into thick shreds and place in a large bowl. Stir the reserved pan juices into the pork then stir through crackling. Season to taste.
5. Combine mayonnaise and vinegar in a bowl. Add coleslaw, parsley and apple, season and mix well. Warm the dinner rolls following packet directions then split in half. Pile pork mixture onto roll bases. Top with coleslaw and serve.
6. Tips: Having a dry piece of pork is the key to great crackling. If possible, buy the pork the day before, pat dry with paper towel. Store on a plate, uncovered, in the refrigerator overnight.
7. There are lots of difference additions to the sauce at the end. Options include vinegar and chilli; barbecue sauce and tomato sauce.
8. Traditionally pulled pork is the shoulder with bone in but it can take up to 12 hours to slow cook. We are using the belly as faster cook time. Not quite as meaty, but far less cooking time.