French Toast with Cinnamon Sugar Breadcrumbs
Prep time 10 min
Cook time 15 min
Whip up this sweet. delicious weekend or holiday brunch in under 30 minutes. The combination of crunchy, cinnamon sugar bread crumbs and berries will make this a feature on your go-to’s!
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
1/4 cup thickened cream, plus extra to serve
80g unsalted butter, chopped
1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
1/4 cup caster sugar
1. For the compote, place rhubarb in a saucepan over medium heat. Add caster sugar and 1/4 cup (60ml) water. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes until rhubarb is very soft. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Trim hard crusts, then whiz crusts in a small food processor to coarse crumbs. Heat oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Add crumbs and cook, tossing, for 3-4 minutes until light golden. Add cinnamon and 2 tbs caster sugar, and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
3. Slice sourdough slices into triangles. Whisk eggs, vanilla, cream and remaining 2 tbs sugar in a bowl. Soak sourdough in egg mixture for 30 seconds, then place on a baking tray ready to fry.
4. Melt half the butter in a frypan over medium heat. In batches, cook half the egg-soaked bread for 1-2 minutes each side until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel, then repeat with remaining butter and bread.
5. Serve the French toast with compote, sugar breadcrumbs and whipped cream.