Borlotti Bean & Ancient Grain Sourdough Soup
Prep time 20mins
Cook time 1hr 15mins
Now that the weather is starting to cool down, nothing is more warming than a comforting soup. Although this recipe requires a bit of preparation, you’ll be stoked with the results.
3L (12 cups) cold water
305g (1 1/2 cups) dried borlotti beans
375ml (1 1/2 cups) vegetable liquid stock
1 large brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
2 celery sticks, trimmed, coarsely chopped
1 large (about 200g) carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup loosely packed coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 small fresh red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the beans in a large glass or ceramic bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside overnight to soak. Drain.
2. Place beans and half the water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, place the breadcrumbs in a bowl. Add the stock and set aside to soak.
4. Drain all but 250ml (1 cup) liquid from the beans. Add the remaining water along with the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, tomato, parsley, tomato paste, chilli and breadcrumb mixture. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender
5. Stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Ladle among bowls and serve with toasted Ancient Grain Sourdough.